The Reasoning Language Arts Test evaluates candidates’ reading and writing skills. In this section, you are required to answer 46 questions within 2.5 hours. Particularly, you need to:
– Show your reading skills by answering questions based on single passages and passages which are paired together.
– Show your language skills by reviewing a given text and choosing words and phrases so that the text is written correctly.
– Show your writing skills by composing an extended response to a writing prompt.
You have to obtain the minimum score of 145 to pass the Language Arts test.
The GED Language Arts test includes three sections namely Reading, Language and Extended Response.
In this section, your duty is to answer questions based on a wide range of reading texts. About 75 percent of questions in this part are formed from informational passages which are composed of documents about the workplace and community, nonfiction and general nonfiction. The remaining 25 percent of questions are based on fictional passages.
In the Language section, you will be tested on the capability of creating correct sentence structures, capitalization, homonyms, possessives, punctuation and agreement (subject - verb and pronoun - antecedent). This section also assesses the usage of appropriate words.
* Extended Response:
With this section, you need to produce an extended response to a writing prompt by developing an argument and supporting your ideas with evidence from the text materials.
The GED Language Arts test is marked from the range of 100 to 200. As mentioned above, you need to get at least 145 scores to be eligible to pass the test.
On the day of taking the GED Language Arts test, you are required to bring a government issued photo ID. It’s noted that your name and date of birth on your photo ID must match correctly with information in your GED.com. If you fail to do that, you will not be allowed to take the exam. In addition, it is recommended to bring a copy of your confirmation email or letter to the testing location while it’s not required. Any electronic devices such as smartphones and watches are not permitted to be brought into the testing room.
The GED Language Arts includes three sections namely Reading, Language and Extended Response. Therefore, of course, you need to complete all three sections within 150 minutes.
Yes. You will have a 10-minute break before taking the section 3 (Extended Response)
You will be eligible to do GED Language Arts if you are 16 years old or older and have not graduated from any U.S. high school.
The GED Language Arts test cost has been increased from US$75 to US$80 since October 1, 2021. Therefore, to take a GED Language Arts exam, you now need to pay US$80.
Here we have collected several topics that are frequently asked in the GED Language Arts exam:
There is no limit to how many times you can retake the GED Language Arts exam since each state issues its own policies and waiting policies. As the general rule, you can take the GED test three times. However, after the third time, you need to wait 60 days. In Maryland, candidates are only allowed to take the test three times per year. It is advisable to carefully learn about your state’s retake policy.
Failing to read a passage completely in a passage-based question can make you give incorrect conclusions. While reading, check your understanding by stopping occasionally to see whether you can summarize what you are reading. It’s advisable to skim the questions before reading the text. This is particularly useful when you answer questions related to two selections.
Carefully analyze each writer’s arguments especially when reading two selections with opposing viewpoints. You need to read objectively. Don’t let your points of view affect how you answer the questions. Concentrate on whether or not the writer adequately and validly supports the argument, not on whether or not you agree with them.
You may think this is an odd tip, right? But understanding all the rules related to commas will help you so much in the GED Language Arts test especially the language skills section. Pay attention to several commas tips below:
In the Extended Response section of the GED Language Arts test, you will be given two passages and a prompt. It is recommended to read the prompt first as this will assist you in choosing key details and evidence to support your opinion.
One of the key tips to attain a high score in the Extended Response is to cite examples from the texts. This is called “evidence-based” writing activity since you are required to compose a response based on evidence from the reading passages.
Our website provides a great number of GED Practice tests for you to practice. GED Language Arts practice tests cover all three areas of a GED Language Arts test including Reading, Language and Extended Response. Questions are carefully compiled by experienced teachers which helps you get familiar with the test format and gain a high score.